Saturday, January 26, 2013

My Kids' Favorite Bread Recipe


Almost Wonder Bread Recipe

My kids like Wonder Bread. It's nutritionally worthless, so I don't buy it, but it's fluffy and hints and childhood joy. So I took my go to bread recipe and looked to see what I could change to make it more kid appealing and then did a little research on white breads.
                                     
Obviously the oats had to go, but I refused to revert to sugar in place of honey. Most of the recipes called for powdered milk, so we added that and played with the flour ratios. My first experiment didn’t have enough whole wheat to make me happy, but it was super squishy. After a few more tries I think I have a good “kid” bread recipe to fall back on when the kids get bored of the ole standby.
Ingredients (makes 2 loaves):
2 cups warm water
1 TBS yeast
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup honey
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup dry milk
2 cups WW flour (if you find your bread too dense reduce this by a cup and increase the all purpose flour)
4-5 cups AP flour
- Proof yeast by combining with water and letting sit for 5 minutes
- Add oil and honey
- In another bowl combine dry ingredients. I start with 4 cups of the bread flour and add the extra later.
- Mix dry ingredients with wet. If it’s still sticky add additional flour in 1/4 cup measurements. Higher humidity days will require more and dryer days will use less.
- Once combined knead for 10-15 minutes. Some breads I can just mix and go, but I find this one requires the kneading.
- Place in lightly oiled bowl and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes
- Lightly grease bread pans
- Divide dough into pans and let rise 30-45 minutes
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes, until golden
- Slather top with butter while still warm

Submitted by Samantha at Turk & Bean

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...