Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The cuteness factor

(written by Kristin of Beat's Boutique)

The thought of cloth diapering never crossed my mind with my firstborn. Even though my mom cloth diapered all of us, disposables had been around for quite a while at that point and I hadn't heard of anyone “still” cloth diapering.

When I was pregnant with my second, as I was browsing baby items online I came across some Kooshies cloth diapers. I put them on my wishlist for the heck of it – mainly because they were pretty cute! But even then I didn't think much of it. And when I realized that I would have to put rubber pants over them I took them off my wishlist. If I knew then what I know now about how cute diaper covers can be...and that it's not just rubber pants anymore...

When my third baby was about 9 months old I had 2 in diapers and one in Pull-Ups. The Pull-Ups were what was killing me. My son was pretty much potty trained, but we used them for overnight accidents, which were very infrequent. I started researching cloth training pants because I was tired of buying Pull-Ups.

Once I started researching cloth training pants, I ran into so many sites about modern cloth diapering and the CUTEST diapers!


In the end there were many reasons why I switched to cloth, but the cuteness factor was definitely one of the top reasons. Even the solid color diapers and covers are way cuter than plain old white disposables. I'm all about cuteness for everything that goes on my baby.

Fashionable options are endless with cloth diapers. A lot of people use fancy knit prints for fitteds and let baby go coverless at home. It's a great way to tell right away when baby is wet and lets baby get plenty of air (which is great to help heal rashes quicker).

You can even have adorable combinations with regular prefolds and wool, fleece or PUL covers. My favorite summer diapers for my son were prefolds with either wool or fleece shorties. Wool covers can be anything from recycled sweaters to hand knit or crocheted. And I loved making appliqued fleece shorties for my son and daughter. You can find many really neat designed and appliqued wool and fleece soakers made by many of the Etsy Cloth Diaper Team members.


For my daughter, this summer she loved her fleece skirty and her ladybug wool shorties. But now she's mostly in cloth trainers. I've mainly stuck with the cute printed PUL for the outer layers of her diapers, as she needs a little more waterproofing than wool or fleece.

Overall, I am so happy that I chose to dress my babies’ booties in the cutest cloth options I could find.

~ Kristin

1 comment:

  1. Cloth diapers are so cute, and disposable diapers are just icky to look at. Every time I see a baby in disposables, it gives me the heebie-jeebies!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...