Monday, June 4, 2012

PINKIE LEE AND  FLEUR de LIS; cute name right? This Etsy shop also has some pretty darn cute cloth diaper covers and fleece liners.  Jessica from Clovis, CA runs this shop and was gracious enough to answer some questions about her products and inspiration.



Where did you get the name for your shop? I used to call my oldest daughter Pinkie Lee when she was smaller (from the movie Grease, where Rizzo throws the milkshake on Kenickie & says "To you from me, Pinkie Lee!") and I'm really into Fleur de Lis, so Pinkie Lee & Fleurs de Lis was born :) 

Please share what is unique about your products. Being Eco-Conscious is very important to me. I hand craft reusable and Earth friendly items that I use myself in my own home. I use recyclable, reusable & compostable poly mailers to ship. I use felt made from recycled plastic bottles, 100% cotton card stock, and natural/organic supplies whenever I can. 

What are your most popular products, and why are they so appealing? My custom hand appliquéd soakers. Be it fleece or wool, I painstakingly create each custom item with love and ridiculous attention to detail. It makes me proud to sell such one of a kind pieces :)

How did you get the idea for your products/business? I initially began embellishing prefolds for burp cloths for a friend who was expecting her first child. After I became pregnant again, and learned about cloth diapers, I spent most of my pregnancy behind the sewing machine. 

What have you found most challenging about running your own business? Juggling my roles as a mom, wife and my business. Sometimes the laundry doesn't get folded, sometimes my emails have to wait, it's all about balance. 

Has anything been easier than you expected? More difficult? I definitely invest more time than I thought I would. Communicating with customers, taking & editing pictures, sewing my hang tags, making my own garment labels, stamping my envelopes and sealing my thank you cards with wax. Phew! It's all worth it, though :)

Why do you like selling on Etsy? I love Etsy! It's inspiring and motivating to be amongst such creative people. 

How long have you been sewing, knitting, crocheting, etc.? My mom taught me to sew at about 10 years old but I only started really sewing about 5 years ago.

What is your favorite thing to make at the moment? My Reusable Swiffer Sweeper and Hand Duster Cloths. They totally rock!

Why is cloth diapering important to you? Oh man, for every reason!!! It is Eco-savvy, cute, trendy, hippie, challenging at times, fun and addicting. I would say that it saves money, but I've definitely spent more $ than I could have on my stash :)

What is the kind of diaper you like the best at home? BumGenius Elementals and Holden's Landing

What is your favorite cloth diapering memory? Ooooh that's a toughie! Being pregnant, nesting and buying, folding, refolding, sorting and staring at my stash, anxiously chomping at the bit to use them. Or being called 'The Diaper Chick' at a party (I was flattered, not offended). 

Who or what is your inspiration? My daughters :) 

Is there anything else you'd like to share? I am a busy mommy to two miracle daughters who were conceived after years of infertility. I enjoy gardening, thrift store shopping and decorating. I love all kinds of music - from Willie Nelson to Slipknot. I have met some of the most wonderful people through cloth diapering and learned so much about not only diapers, but Babywearing, car seat safety and Attachment Parenting in general. I am so thankful for my customers, my team members, my friends and for this season of my life.

~Pinkie Lee & Fleurs de Lis ~
Creating high quality handmade baby items for the littlest of people

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...