Tuesday, February 5, 2008

It Came to me in a Dream...

Knitting, that is. Isn't that goofy? But it's true. I had never been a crafty person, in my pre-knitting 25 or so years. Then one evening, I had a dream that I was knitting a very soft yellow scarf... it was so relaxing, and so peaceful, and I woke up with this feeling of contentment. I thought, almost aloud, "I'm so glad I learned how to knit," and then I realized WAIT!! It was just a dream! I can't knit!

Just a few days later I found myself in a craft store looking for knitting tutorials. I found a book that came with some starter needles. It was very dated, but really, the info doesn't change so much, you know? Within a few weeks, I was really knitting!

I had admired knit cloth diaper covers from afar... I loved that something handknit could be so useful and so beautiful at the same time.

I had been knitting longies and shorties for babies and toddlers for about a year or so when I started to get the itch to try something new. I was interested in trying my hand at handpainting my own yarn, and then after thinking about it some more, I made the mental leap to the concept of tie-dye.

Wool + tie-dye = Swirlies!

This has been a recent development, and I'm really excited about it. I knit the shorties in natural, undyed yarn, and then I tie-dye with different color combinations. It brings another dimension of creative fun to my craft. And I still dream about knitting from time to time!



1 comment:

  1. OMGosh! I just LOVE this:
    http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=9165565

    Awesome work, Mama's!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...