Monday, December 31, 2012

Meet the Team: Nommies Nappies


This edition of Meet the Team is an interview with Sarah D. of Nommies Nappies. She is brand new to Etsy and the Etsy Cloth Diaper Team so we are really excited to get to know her and share her shop and items with all of you!



How did you come up with the name for your shop?   In our house, we have many nicknames.  The dogs answer to about 5 names each, and my husband and I rarely call each other by our real names; so when we had a baby the nicknames came easily and plentifully!  Our little boy answers to Bug, Nommy, Snuggles, Stinker, and Thomas (his real name).  I thought an alliterative name would be fun, so Nommy's Nappies just felt right.  

How long have you been making/selling cloth diapers?  I started replacing my son's cloth diaper stash with my handmade ones in May of 2012.  The selling part happened after a few local mom friends wanted to try my diapers on their babies a few months after that, and I started doing testers and actively selling in October 2012.

How long have you been sewing?  I learned to sew when I was about 10 or 11 years old.  My mom used to make my outfits for clogging (ruffles, bloomers, and all!) and I wanted to help, so she showed me how to operate a machine and follow a pattern.  I hadn't sewn anything in at least the last decade, but once I discovered cloth diapers I was glad to have retained the foundations of sewing enough to let me create things for him.  

Nommy's Nighttime Hybrid Fitted Pocket Nappy - Red firetrucks & dalmatians on blueWhat is your favorite thing to make right now?Why?  Right now I am in love with my serger, so I enjoy making serged fitted diapers, wipes, inserts, and anything else I can get my hands on!

Favorite materials to use?  I adore the feel of bamboo fleece...I wish I had enough fabric to make sheets out of it, but then I would probably never get out of bed.  

Why did you choose cloth diapers and what advice do you give to those considering using them? We used disposables for the first year and a half of my son's life.  I wanted to try cloth diapers honestly because I thought there were adorable!  Once I started researching and realizing they could help us save money in the long run and not contribute to excessive waste I was sold for good.                                                                                               My advice to anyone considering cloth is to jump right in and try a little bit of everything - you never know which style will work best for you.  I also think cloth wipes are a must when you are using cloth diapers.  I did not switch to cloth wipes for the first couple months when we changed to cloth diapers, and now I wish I had used them from the beginning.  
 
Cotton Sherpa Cloth Wipes/Washcloths - Set of 6
What made you decide to sell on Etsy and join the Etsy Cloth Diaper Team?  I have always browsed on Etsy and admired other moms who had a creative product to offer.  Once I began to entertain the idea of selling, I sent out a questionnaire and other moms expressed being most comfortable purchasing diapers from a site like Etsy because it is established and reliable.  I decided to join the Team because I value the support of others in the same situation as I am, and I hope to learn a lot from all of them.

Do you have any specials or sales now or coming up?  I do not have any current plans for specials, but I always offer a discount for multiple diapers or inserts purchased (5 or more inserts for 10% off and 10 or more diapers for 10% off).

Where can we find your items? Do you have a Facebook page?  You can find my items as well as request custom orders through my shop at Etsy and find me on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...