You probably already have most of the ingredients needed to make your own cleaning products, and a quick trip to the grocery store will complete your list.
For safety's sake, be sure to label your homemade cleaning products and keep them out of reach of children.
- All-Purpose Cleaner #1 - Mix one part white vinegar with one part water. Use on windows, walls, counters, floors, in the bathroom, everywhere!
- All-Purpose Cleaner #2 - Mix 1/2 cup vinegar and 1/4 cup Borax into 2 liters of water. Removes water deposits in showers, chrome fixtures, windows, mirrors, etc.
- Citrus Scented All-Purpose Cleaner - For a citrus-scented cleaner, steep orange, lemon and/or lime peels in vinegar for 2 weeks. Remove peels and mix 1 part vinegar solution with 1 part water. Use like All-Purpose Cleaner #1.
- Drain Cleaner - Pour about 1/2 cup baking soda down drain. Follow with 1/2 to 1 cup vinegar. Allow to work for 15 minutes, then flush with boiling water. Caution: DO NOT use this method after trying commercial drain cleaner as toxic fumes may result, and ONLY use with metal pipes as boiling water may melt plastic pipes!
- Gentle Scrub - Mix a little water into baking soda to make a paste. Gently scrub to remove crayon, pencil, etc from surfaces. Be gentle as harsh scrubbing may damage the finish.
- Mint Scented Gentle Scrub - Use a non-gel toothpaste instead of baking soda and water. The caution about scrubbing gently still applies.
- Furniture Polish - Mix 1 part olive oil with 2 parts vinegar. Use to polish finished wood only.
- Lemon-Scented Furniture Polish - Mix 1 part olive oil, several drops lemon oil, and 2 parts vinegar. You can substitute 1 part lemon juice for 1 part vinegar, but be careful as lemon juice may take the color out of wood.
- Room Deodorizer Spray - Spritz the air with All-Purpose Cleaner #1 or Citrus-Scented All-Purpose Cleaner. Mix 10-15 drops of essential oil with water in a spray bottle and spray around the room.
- Safer Disinfectant - Place 3% hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle and full-strength vinegar in another spray bottle. Spray surface with both, then rinse with water. (Source: www.preservion.com)
For more homemade cleaning product recipes, check out:
What's YOUR favorite homemade cleaning product?
~ the Etsy Cloth Diaper Team
Photo Credits: Vinegar: www.lalagirl.org, Lemons: comingstobrazil on Flickr, Baking Soda: www.armandhammer.com