The Stealth Health ingredients in this recipe are whole wheat spaghetti, ground turkey, low fat or no fat milk, and part-skim cheese.
Cheesy Spaghetti Bake
This recipe makes an 8x8 sized pan of baked spaghetti - perfect for about 6 children, depending on appetite and what else you serve with it. (My favorite partner to spaghetti is a mixed greens salad with grape tomatoes, carrots, and cucumber.)
- 1 cup dry whole wheat spaghetti
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup 1% or nonfat milk
- 10 oz ground turkey
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce
- 2 oz part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Grease an 8x8 baking dish. (Please excuse my well-loved pan; it was a hand-me-down from my grandmother.)
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Drain.
- While spaghetti is cooking, brown the ground turkey and chopped onion. Drain.
- Add spaghetti sauce and mix in thoroughly. Set aside.
- In a large bowl beat together the egg, milk, and a pinch of salt.
- Add the cooked spaghetti, oregano and half the cheese.
- Toss to coat.
- Place into greased baking pan.
- Spoon turkey/sauce mixture over the spaghetti.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350ºF for 10-15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the rest of the cheese and bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes before cutting into equal pieces.
Like traditional spaghetti, this dish can be personalized to fit your family's preferences. You could add mushrooms, canned tomatoes, zucchini, or any favorite veggie to the sauce, use a differently shaped pasta, etc. Get creative, and get your kids involved; children are more likely to eat something they helped prepare.
Be sure to let us know your family's favorite variation!
~ The Etsy Blog Team