Monday, April 30, 2012

Meet the Team - April of April's Baby

Today I'd like to introduce you to April of April's Baby on Etsy. April is joining us from Toronto, Ontario.


Hi April, it's nice to meet you. To begin, where did you get the name for your shop?

My husband picked the name. He didn't get to name the kids so I figured I could let him have this:) Really, it was easy. My name, plus baby items...you get the picture. As well, April (the month) makes me think of hope, renewal, new beginnings...all the things a new baby brings.


What makes your products unique?

Every item is handmade by me. I only purchase limited amounts of fabric so most items are truly one of a kind.


What are your most popular items, and why do you think they're so appealing?

Hands down, my most popular item is the one size diaper cover. They are appealing for a number of reasons. Being one size ( 8-35 lbs) they are a really good value for money. They are good quality and they are pretty cute. I use a cotton fabric outer and a polyurethane laminate inner. So, they are waterproof but the fabric outer makes them unique. I like fashionable little babies.


What made you decide to open your business?

I wasn't really happy with my cloth diapering options. I wanted cloth diapers that were hip and modern; fresh and fun without being too cutesy and babyish. I wanted items that matched my own personal sense of style. So, I decided to make my own. I never had any inkling that it would turn into anything more than just a way to diaper my babies. But, people seemed to like them. It's definitely become more than I ever imagined...but it's great!


What's been the most challenging part of running your own business?

I think that my struggles are familiar to most parents. I try to strike the right balance between my day job, running my own business and family but it isn't easy. I have three little ones that need my love and affection. They keep me pretty busy and now that they are starting to get involved with school, sports and other activities it's always go, go, go! That and receipts. I am terrible at keeping receipts. My accountant is always on my case about it.


Has anything been easier or more difficult than you imagined it would be?

Building a clientele is hard work. I want people to trust my brand and feel confident in their purchases but that of course takes time. I am in no hurry though! I really want people to be happy with their purchases!


Why do you like selling on Etsy?

Etsy is a great community. I feel really lucky to be among such creative and talented individuals.


How long have you been sewing?

I cannot answer that directly as some of our readers may excel in mathematics. It may date me. However, I will say that my first sewing experiences were in junior high home economics class. I'm glad that I paid attention.


At the moment, what's your favorite thing to make?

Anything newborn...newborn all in ones, newborn covers, newborn fitteds..I adore making teeny, tiny, squishy diapers for wee ones. Newborn babies have a very special place in my heart and I absolutely swoon when I see a brand new babe sporting a cloth diaper. I am melting just thinking about it!


Why is cloth diapering important to you?

I can honestly say that I haven't always been cloth diaper crazy. I toyed with the idea when I was pregnant with my oldest son and daughter but it never really amounted to much.


It wasn't really until my daughter began suffering from chronic kidney infections that cloth diapering entered our lives. She suffered through so many infections I had a list of things she could and could not do, things she could and could not eat. She had tests and more tests and so many rounds of antibiotics but a definate cause was never discovered.


Finally just in a random conversation our physician, she suggested that the chemicals in the diapers could be to blame for her problems. That was really all I had to hear. I went straight home and ordered every cloth diaper possible. I am happy to say that she has been infection free for over a year and a half and while I have no scientific proof, I am pretty confident that the switch to cloth is the reason. Needless to say, when #3 made his debut, he went straight into cloth.


I can also say that cloth diapers has awakened something inside of me and made me a better, more thoughtful person. I work with my local midwives and use my business to help cloth diaper babies in families who are experiencing difficult times. But aside from that, cloth has helped me to be more conscious of the choices that I make each day and it helping me to set a better example for my children. I feel really good about that and truly cloth diapering started it all!


What's your favorite diaper to use at home?

That depends on who is doing the diaper changing. During the day I am a prefold and covers kind of girl. I just love the absorbency and simplicity. My husband is a pockets kind of guy. At night, organic bamboo fleece and a wool cover. That is the only thing that keeps my heavy wetter dry!


Do you have a favorite cloth diapering memory?

When my son was just a few months old I took him to a massage clinic that was being run by students at a local college. He was rocking his cloth diaper and one of the students starting asking questions about it. Pretty soon, the entire class, the instructor and many other moms were hovered around us asking all kinds of questions about cloth diapering. It was a really great experience. And my son loved the attention.


Where do you find your inspiration?

Inspiration is all around me. I am a slave for fashion, so I draw a lot of inspiration from current fashion trends. My older two children tell me what they like and don't like as well and they have some pretty discriminating tastes. I also draw inspiration from fellow Etsy cloth diaper team members. I am in the company of some very talented and very creative individuals. I try to make sure that I have something for everyone.


Do you have anything new going on now, or coming soon?

1. Inserts. What's a cute cover without a really great insert to put in it?

My serger has been crying out for some attention so there will definitely be some bamboo trifolds unveiling themselves in the near future.


2. I would like to do something for mamas. I want my shop to be a one stop shop for moms and moms to be. Keep checking in...


Is there anything else you'd like to tell us?
I am just really grateful to be able to share my passion with others. I am thankful to my friends and family for their support! And of course my customers are amazing.

Where can we find your products?

www.etsy.com/shop.aprilsbaby

I adore custom work so don't be afraid to ask! aprilsbaby@hotmail.ca

www.facebook.com/aprilsbabyclothdiapers


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...