Monday, November 28, 2011

Meet the Team--Emilie from GotEmCovered

After reading what Emilie has to say about her shop and cloth diapering visit her Etsy shop to see her quality hand-crocheted wool diaper covers.

Where did you get the name for your shop?

I mostly make and sell cloth diaper covers and based on the idea that whatever your need, whether it is diaper covers, feminine cloth, or any other handmade items that I have it covered.

Is it big business or a hobby?

My craft started as a hobby to make one of a kind, custom fit diaper covers and items for my children and family, I found myself enjoying it so much that I wanted to continue crafting and sharing with others. Although it is a source of income, it is still a hobby for me. I put the same care and attention to every piece in my store as I would a gift for a family member.

Why do you like selling on Etsy?

I enjoy selling on Etsy because it is a community of craftspeople creating and sharing handcrafted goods.

How long have you been sewing and crocheting?

I learned the basics of both sewing and crocheting at an early age from my grandmother. But it was not until I later had my first son (5 years ago) that I really started doing both on a regular basis. Since then I have honed my skills and learned many new techniques. I really enjoy creating new sewing and crochet patterns to meet the needs of my family and clients.

What is your favorite thing to make at the moment?

I have currently learned a new technique to add designs onto my wool covers and I am really enjoying creating different themes and trying new ideas.

What are you passionate about?

I am passionate about self/personal expression. I feel that everyone should feel the freedom of self through art, craft, music, personal belief or appearance. I believe everyone has a creative outlet and should feel open to the ability to share it with others

What is your favorite thing in your shop at the moment?

My favorite items in my shop currently is the one size wool snapping tester covers. They are made with the tunisian/afghan crochet stitch which mimics the look of a knit item, but has the density of a crochet item. this stitch has sometimes been referred to as 'bullet-proof" when it comes to wool diaper covers. I originally learned this technique specifically as a solution for my own sons night-time diapering. Since then I have been working and testing numerous designs to make a great fitting covers for a wide range of babies and toddlers. The current design is the result of years of work. It is a 2 part system that allows the rise to be adjusted, snaps along the waist for adjustment, and a contoured backside and thigh for a better fit. I still have these at a reduced price and offer a refund incentive for feedback given in the form an online survey. Although this design has proven to have a great fit and performance, I still appreciate more feedback to ensure that it is the best for my clients. I know that wool covers are an investment and I wanted to find way to make sure that it would be usable for the long term and for every unique child.

Who is your inspiration?

My grandmother is my inspiration. I remember as a child I was sure that she could make that my heart desired or fix anything that may have broken. She was a loving, caring, and generous woman to anyone she met.

Why is cloth diapering important to you?

Cloth diapering is important to me because of so many reasons, but name just a few: it is healthy and comfortable for your baby (any woman who uses disposable feminine pads may be able understand the discomfort a disposable could potentially bring), it is good for the environment, and it is good for the budget - I could not imagine having to pay the large and ongoing expense of disposable diapers especially in the tough time many are facing . I have learned inexpensive ways of cloth diapering and even took the flats hand washing challenge to support the idea of inexpensive cloth diapering. I am more than happy to help anyone get started or just answer questions in a pressure free, non judgemental environment. please feel free to contact me!

Etsy Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/GotEmCovered?ref=pr_shop_more

Facebook/web Address: www.facebook.com/GotEmCovered

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...