Monday, November 21, 2011

Meet the Team--Meet Johanne from Mamajodiapersandpads


Today we hear what Johanne shares about cloth diapering and her experience as a cloth diapering and work-at-home-mom. Her Etsy shop, Mamajodiapersandpads, is filled with all kinds of great products made from North American milled fabrics including: pocket diapers, fitteds, inserts, wipes, menstrual pads, and nursing pads. Don't forget to check out her shop after reading this!

Where did you get the name for your shop?
I came up with my name because close friends and family have always called me Jo (JoJo en francais). I wanted something that represented me and my momminess!


Is it big business or a hobby?
Although I am on mat leave currently, and will be returning to work full time (sniff sniff) I would say it is a business. I dont want to give it up when I go back. But I am so passionate about it, and enjoy it so much, it feels like more of a hobby to me.

Why do you like selling on Etsy?
The MaMas. I have "met" the most wonderful group of ladies here, like nowhere else. I feel very blessed to work for them.

How long have you been sewing?
I have always been crafty and making things, but I have been sewing dipes for two years now.

What is your favorite thing to make at the moment?
I love making everything that is my shop so that is a hard hard question. Although my dipes take a long time to make, I get great satisfaction in making each and every one. I always wonder what little bum will be in there. Lately, I am also really loving making breast pads for Mamas- because they deserve some goodies too!

What are you passionate about?
Cloth diapering and North American milled fabrics and products (buying local).

What is your favorite thing in your shop at the moment?
My new Jean diaper. I love it love it love it- is is sooo cool. Also my flames diaper, which for some reason, nobody buys???



Who is your inspiration?
My children. They were both cloth diapered and being frustrated with what was on the market , I developed my own. And my Dad. He was forced out of business due to manufacturing of fabrics in China and as you will see in my profile, that is the foundation of my business.

Why is cloth diapering important to you?
For the planet- absolutely. We are a very green family and wish more people were. And for baby's health: In 1955, 100% of American babies wore COTTON DIAPERS, 0% wore DISPOSABLES, and 7.1% experienced DIAPER RASH. In 1991, 10% of American babies wore COTTON DIAPERS, 90% wore DISPOSABLES, and 78% experienced DIAPER RASH.
SOURCES:
JOURNAL OF PEDIATRICS 1959, Vol 54 pp. 793-800 “Relationship of Peri-Anal Dermititis to Fecel pH” by Drs. Tamio, Steiner, Benjamin
CLINICAL PEDRIATRICS May 1991, Vol 30 Department of Internal Medicine & Pedriatrics, Loyola University Medical Ctr. “Newborn Chemical Exposure from over-the-counter Skin-Care Products” by Drs. Cetta, Lambert, & Ross

What factors are the most important to you when choosing a cloth diaper?
For me it is about choosing the very very best fabrics out there for baby and- ALL made in North America. Even my thread is made here. The only thing in my diaper that is not manufactured here are the snaps (the best are from overseas unfortunately) and my elastics- but I may have found a North American elastic that will work for us.

What is the kind of diaper you like the best at home?
My own MaMaJo one size PUL diaper. But now that I am potty training Rafi, I like to take two pair of absorbent underwear, one bigger, one smaller, put them one inside the other, and he can wear those around the house. They are super comfy and semi absorbent. I am working hard to try to make a lightweight absorbent and soft trainer-no success yet;.
On the go? For travel? - any good cloth diaper will do!
For budget? For budget, many people like flats or prefolds- they were not my first choice by any means but still a good option.

Do you have a favorite CD shop on Etsy?
Someday Sara - for her gorgeous wool longies. Both my children (and husband ) are allergic to wool so we had to forego my favourite combo of bamboo fitted dipes and wool longies- sniff sniff.

What is your favorite or least favorite cloth diapering memory?
Oh my Gosh. The first time I used an eco soap, I did not realise how harsh they are and used a regular amount on Maiya's diapers. When I took her diaper off, it was like a severe sunburn all over. I was just mortified. My favourite: making my very first cloth diaper for Rafi - I still have it and will always keep it. It is pretty lopsided- but gorgeous because it sent me on this wonderful wonderful journey of being a WAHM on etsy.

Etsy Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/MamaJodiapersandpads?ref=seller_info

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...